Thursday, October 11, 2007

Photograph...

On a couple of occasions, I have mentioned my best friends from school, Brian and Paul. I was > * < this close to meeting up with Paul Tuesday. He was in the area for work but conflicting schedules and timing all suckled at the teet of fate and it didn’t come to fruition. So I get an IM from Brian last night. He is in Australia of all places teaching. Don’t ask me to explain; I don’t even understand. But I was kind of honored when he told me he talked about me to his class in the context of when I worked at the Cockatoo/Zebra club.
But the talk, as it often does, drifted to “the old days”. We had some pretty interesting times. We worked at Hardee’s and we spent weekends trying to find alcohol and girls. Usually one would be present, and many times we scored the double shot. One such fond memory of the alcohol; a co-worker “found” a keg and brought it to us closers at Hardee’s. We were all stoked but weren’t exactly sure HOW we were going to tap it. So, one of the college guys (we appropriately called Spiccoli. Trust me; they modeled the character in Fast Times from this guy) said we should take it to his dorm room bathroom. So here we are. 5-6 guys, huddled around a keg in a bathroom armed with screwdrivers, hammer and as many towels as we could procure. The only thing I can remember is getting totally soaked and trying to sneak out without the RA’s catching us.
And as for the girls…..where would I even start. I know the 3 of us had our more than fair share of breaking hearts and getting ours broken. Don’t be too impressed, In Yankton, there wasn’t a whole lot to begin with. I think that is why Brian and I ended up at the college many times.

So I am cruisin’ in the SUV the other day and Photograph from Nickleback comes on. I am sure you have all heard of it, but I know my mom reads the blog too so I will explain. Photograph is a song about looking back at home after all the years and having the flood of memories come. It never really struck me as much as it did this day.
I have been homesick for a while and thinking about all my friends (yes, you too Mr. & Mrs Bigword) and family back home……so when the final verse came up, I had to wipe a tear away;

I miss that town

I miss their faces

You can't erase

You can't replace it

I miss it now

I can't believe it

So hard to stay

Too hard to leave it

No comments: