Friday, March 02, 2007


I was looking over my posts and realized that I haven’t ever mentioned not only 2 of my best pals from back home, but 2 of the most talented musicians EVER ANYWHERE (yes, deal with that James Blunt and your “I’m Beautiful” hack of a song).

The Cartwright Brothers are an enigma. They are something you can’t really fully explain, it has to be experienced. It is kind of like going to a Rocky Horror Picture Show movie viewing in a theater. You could try to describe the experience to your best friend, but it would NEVER compare to being there.
Think of some of the best music in your life from the 70’s till now; throw in a smattering of Monty Python, throw in a rubber chicken for good measure and you have some of the best entertainment for an evening you will ever encounter.

This link is the main page to the Cartwright website.

There is a lot of great stuff to learn about them.

Next is a link to Mark’s personal message (updated irregularly). Okoboji Iowa is one of the best places in the Midwest to spend a summer. When the guys were playing there and I was working with my mother and step father in their photography business, we had many a drunken night. One night in particular, Mark and I were walking around with a 12-pack and talking about life and women. We got back to the hotel room they were staying in and said “I really want you to hear the rough mix of the new CD we are putting out. Let me know what you think”. What transpired over the next 60 or so minutes was (as I put it before) something you just can’t describe. I have been listening to Mark’s work for almost 20 years now. I said without a doubt in my mind that this was some of his (and Jeff’s) best work. Peaking At Life quickly became a motto that I held close to my heart.
“Eternal Spring”: “…as hope springs eternal, we hope for eternal spring”;
“If These Walls Could Talk”: …..as I drive by and think of all that could be said…I simply break a smile and shake my head”
“I’m Alright”: “..so I put a tape in, from 1985, turn it up, kick on back and I’m feelin’ fine”
“Back In My Head”: “….the words ‘I love you’ were scawled over the Jackson, her signature where the face had been, and just like I had years before, I gambled her, away again”
(can you feel the goose bumps on my arm yet??)

Check em out…check out ITunes……and for heaven’s sake “HELL NO I AIN’T EATIN THOSE PEAS!”

~LATE~


1 comment:

Scott said...

Hey, no one even comes close to the Cartwright Brothers. (Is it their deodorant?) It's a wonder the rest of the nation hasn't discovered them yet. In the meantime, there is a new Cartwright Brothers Message Board. http://www.woodencabinet.com/cartwrightbrothers